Welcome to my blog.


I believe that having a vision is a start in reforming this nation. My name, "Ojo de la Plata" means "Eye of the Silver," but it has a deeper meaning than that.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I am Pro-Condom but Anti-Abortion

Riding my way from Tandang Sora to UP Diliman makes it more apparent to my eyes how much people there are now in our country. There are just a lot of us. A lot that the Government is not able to fully support. In fact, I believe that the number of Filipinos impairs the government system that we have, in so many ways. Our government always lacks funds to support the growing population! And this is why I believe that we should control the population. Otherwise, our people will continue to suffer.
It’s easy to say why I’m pro-condom. As what I just said, I want our population be controlled. But why am I anti-abortion? Easy: I am pro-life also.
How do we reconcile these two conflicting ideals? I believe that life begins when the sperm meets the egg. It is at this point in time that the genes mix and the result will be another entity. Al though I may not be a doctor or any person in the medical field, I believe I can support my stand on this population issue.
I am against abortion as the same is tantamount to killing a person. To me, as what I’ve said, a person is being created not at birth but at fertilization or at the moment the sperm meets the egg because this is when the genes mix which result to another entity.
On the other hand, if couples use condom, there would not be a resulting mix in genes, and therefore there would not be a creation of another person.
Although people would not agree with me because as they say, the creation of a person is a process that begins from fertilization and ends with birth, I stand on my point by saying that after fertilization, there’s almost a hundred percent likelihood that the fertilized egg would result to a baby. Only extreme circumstances will prevent this from happening such as accident or illness. Otherwise, if the mother is healthy and normal circumstances occurred, the fertilized egg, which to me is a new mixture of genes and therefore another entity, would have a very high likelihood of being born.

3 comments:

  1. hi raymond! i couldn't have expressed your arguments any better. Condom use is really effective for population control, without the moral implications of abortion, which is virtually the same as infanticide. great blog! i haven't updated mine in ages, though. :-) i'm looking forward to read more from you. advanced happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jef! I've read your blog lately and it's good... hope you can come back here in the Philippines this summer (April-May)! :)

    ReplyDelete